""Two Poems Chosen For Greatness

     I have written about the feelings of the poem "What I Want" by George Bilgere in my last blog (40-44).  The other poem that I thought was special is the "Hate Poem" by Julie Sheehan (125-126)  The last blog I wrote summed up my analyst of what I thought  Bilgeere's feelings toward the ex-wife are.  The poem goes on brilliantly about what he wants in life but he always comes back to some horrible wish upon his ex-wife.  This poem shows he is not over her but he is trying to get through that threshold.  It is not working as he keeps bringing it up such drastic images of what he would like to happen to his wife.  I still see what I see regardless of what someone else may think or feel.  These poems are to be read and to be interpreted by us, maybe by from previous experience or from the tone we hear in our minds as we read them.  Everyone should be able to express their interpretations.  From my previous blog on "All I want" the readers know that I feel he is working toward a certain threshold but I will admit he is not there yet.  One day, one year, he will be.  I know you probably do not want to know why I think as I do.
     I do agree he still wants his wife back but wishing her harm is a way of dealing with her not being there of if she will be back.  I understand that he is not over her, but the poem carries on to a future of reading a favorite book together.  I probably lost some of my readers right there but I will explain this before I am through.
     I think I should go into more details of the poem "Hate Poem" by Julie Sheehan (125-126).  These two poems work together so well because neither are willing to give up on the person they want or have.  Neither one of them are willing to move on at this time.  Sheehan writes that every ounce of her being hates him throughout the entire poem.  She hates everything about him but she's not going anywhere. She shows this with her words "which can never have enough of you" Sheehan page 126, line 30).
     Both of these poems speak so much venom of their partner or ex-wife on such graphic terms.  In the second poem "Hate Poem" she really filled every line with hate until the phrase I just mentioned.  These two poems are about people that are still attached emotionally and maybe as well, as physically attached to the ones they talk so much hate toward.  There is a thin line between love and hate.  In "What I Want", Bilgeres' constantly talking about the freedom and at the end of each stanza is a venomous string of thoughts of taking out his ex-wife's life in one form or another.  In the "Hate Poem" by Sheehan, I see her as hating him with every aspect of her soul and body yet staying safely in his arms.  If there is really any hate there, it may be that she hates herself for not ever being able to leave.
     I don't know how much more open our blogs can be than our essays.  I know the analytic writing that should be done on our essays but I hope that our blogs can be somewhat more personal.  The reason I kept telling everybody in class that "What I Want" was about him being stuck in between what he wanted to do as freedom went but still wanting his wife as a threshold because of my own life or age.  As you grow in years, you may even become friends again or not.
     In the poem "Hate Poem" I felt every bit of that but I could never leave.  What was good was so very good, but with time could not outweigh the bad.  I didn't want to go, but for me and my son's life, I had to move on, no matter how good "the good" was.  It has taken me fifteen years to be able just to say bye when he calls instead of I'll always love you.  Although I know I had to move on for my own life and my son's life to ever have a life worth living.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCLUTTERING YOUR LIFE, IS THAT LIKE UNCLUTTERING MY FEELINGS?

This and That as I clean out my Clutter